Wednesday, February 16, 2011

That's something to be proud of.

So yesterday I was helping to facilitate a discussion on morality... hah morality. There's always this struggle. I feel like "Hey, I'm a pretty moral person," and then the next minute it's like "I suck, I do some stupid stuff."

In talking about morality and listening about it, I think it's important to train ourselves to pay closer attention to our actions. I think I'm going to literally try and ask the questions, "Is that something that I'm proud of?" and "Is that me being the best that I can be?" or "Is this something I'm at least not ashamed of?" It's like the WWJD bracelets. What would Jesus do in that situation? But for me that seems too reactionary. It's not just about what we do in reaction to things, it's how we spend our free time. It's about what we go out and initiate ourselves. And yet there's always temptation, it's tough. I guess that it's most important to just consciously think about things. I don't know how people can do so many things without even thinking about them. I feel like even when I do something wrong, there's part of me, some might call it a conscience, nagging in the back of my head. That's my biggest indicator, shame. I want more pride and less shame.

No comments:

Post a Comment