Thursday, November 18, 2010

On Your Own

How nice is it to be on your own?  To do everything you want to do... to have the confidence to think that everything you do is right... to have the skills and abilities to get it ALL done...

Funny thing is... we can never do anything on our own.  We could never succeed on our own.  We might be able to get by, but that will eventually run out when we realize what is actually going on.  When we realize that we're the only ones in the dark and cold room.

We need one another.  We need to be vulnerable at times.  That's hard though.  I know it's very hard for me to be vulnerable.  I always think that I kind of have a grasp of things and can get things done.  I'm pretty in control of myself, my actions, my body... but I struggle to be vulnerable.  I get by, but in order for me to grow, I need to grow into that humility.  I need to be vulnerable at times.  I suck at that. 

We not only need one another... we need God... we need to acknowledge that we don't really do anything.  It's all from God (or whatever else you might call God).  That changes our perspective of everything.  It is also very problematic though.  Is what I want for myself good or bad?  Is what I want to do for others really just a selfish motive?  How can I be the best me?  But, I will always fall short of the best me... is that OK?

To be honest, understanding that I will always fall short of the best me means I am acknowledging a more correct notion of myself in the grand scheme of things.  I am not perfect.  I am not perfect.  I am not perfect.  No matter how it seems, I am not perfect... Sometimes we need to remind ourselves of that.  That's what forgiveness is for...  asking forgiveness is showing vulnerability... I suck at being vulnerable... but then again, I'm not perfect...

No comments:

Post a Comment