Tuesday, November 23, 2010

"Thanks"-giving

One of my many pet peeves that I have of society is our overuse of very important words, or if not overuse, then sincerity.  "I love pepperoni pizza" just doesn't really cut it in my book.  I understand what people are saying and I won't look down upon someone who says this, but I think it admirable when people don't use words like "love", "sorry" or absolutes like "all", "everyone", etc. so flippantly.

For me "thanks" has become one of those words that we just throw out there.  When someone opens the door for you, someone hands you something, a quick, very muddled "thanks" is usually what results.  For me that doesn't really show the gratitude, even for some small measure, that we really should be giving out.  How much effort does it really take to look someone in the eye and really mean your "thanks".  Or maybe, say something like "Thank you so much, I really appreciate it."  For me, that just shows someone that you really are thankful.  It could even just be the tone of voice and the pace that you say it at.  Just some way of actually showing that it's genuine and heartfelt.  I know it kind of sounds picky and dorky, but I think it's something that we, myself included, could all work on.  And, why not now, when we approach the "Thanks"giving holiday.  It could mean a lot to someone to just really be thanked for something, no matter what it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment